Friday, January 2, 2009

Challenge Card

Today was the funeral of a beautiful young lady whose family I've known for a little over 5 years. She died suddenly on Christmas Eve... she would have been 21 years old next week. This is a family whose faith is firmly rooted in Christ and in the hope of resurrection and eternal life. When looking for just the right images and text to use on the family's sympathy card, I came across a set that I had ordered long ago and had never used. It wasn't even mounted yet! The set had a lot of butterfly images, which was just perfect for the theme of being born into new life. For the text, I used one from a retired Sale-a-Bration set that just seemed very well suited for this occasion.


I cut out each butterfly individually so that I could mount them wherever I wanted them. The big butterfly is stamped in Vintage Violet and adhered flat on the cardfront. Then I mounted another of the same image in Cool Carribean on top of it (slightly askew so that the darker one becomes its shadow). I glued down the body and added dimensionals under each wing to give it the semblance of fluttering. The two smaller butterflies in the upper right are adhered flat, and the third little butterfly is mounted on a dimensional near the text, which is also on dimensionals. The background stamp I used is the Script Background from Stampin' Up! which I chose because it is a nice prayer for the family. I wanted the large butterfly to represent the young lady whose soul has flown to new life in Christ. The three butterflies on the front also (by happy coincidence) represent the three family members -- mother, father, and sister -- who are remembering this young lady specially on this bittersweet day.


Inside the card, I mounted another butterfly on dimensionals to carry the theme through. In this photo, you can also sort of see a couple of the dimensionals on the front of the card.


I stamped the small flowers from the same butterfly set along with another little butterfly on the envelope to tie everything together.


This card is being entered in the "Something New" Challenge on Stamp Something. I think it qualifies because of the new-to-me stamp set that I used.

~ Pia

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Great card, Pia!!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I am so sorry for the loss. This card is beautiful and I am sure that it will help to lift their spirits!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card so such a somber event.

Jan said...

21 yrs. old! That is so sad, but your card is beautiful and I hope that the recipients will find some comfort in it.

Anita said...

Beautiful card! The butterflies fit this sad time.

Erin... said...

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful card and very comforting . Thank you for entering it into the challenge.

Louise F NZ said...

Beautiful card for a sad event. The butterflies are really fitting.

Anonymous said...

How sad. I am sure that they appreciated the beautiful card.

Tenia Nelson said...

Very cute card!! tfs!!!
-t